Laugh all you want, but my recipe today was inspired by salad. I knew I had some leftover bagged salad that I needed to eat and I remembered one of my favorite meals with my friend Hillary in NYC. One of the last times I was visiting the city, Hillary, I and several other friends ate at in Hell’s Kitchen (what was the restaurant name?). The yummiest looking thing on the menu was macaroni and cheese. To pretend we were being healthy, Hillary and I decided to split the mac and cheese and a salad, thinking the two would balance out.
So, I went to look for a tasty recipe online and came up short. Instead, I decided to make my own with two of my favorite cheese and shell noodles (since I haven’t had them in a while). Check out the recipe and photos below!
Kara’s Tangy Mac and Cheese
- 1.5 cups whole wheat shell noodles
- 2 tbs. butter
- 2 cups of shredded white cheddar
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- .5 cup cream
- whole grain bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
1. Boil pasta according to directions
2. Saute butter in a large saucepan, add 1.5 cups of white cheddar, cream and blue cheese. Cook until the sauce becomes a thick liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drain pasta and place into a deep circle dish. Add cheese sauce to pasta and top with bread crumbs and remaning white cheddar.
4. Broil on high in the over until cheese bubbles and then serve.
5. And of course, a spring mix salad with a sweet, fruit based dressing (to cut the tang) and you favorite Pale Ale to finish it!
You may be asking, ‘what happened to last week’s recipe’? Well, for the first time this year I cooked something not so great. I found a recipe for gnocchi on Broke Ass Gourmet(a blog usually filled with great recession friendly meal ideas). Well, not sure why, but the fig and brie flavors didn’t quite work with the gnocchi. Oh well, can’t win them all. 🙂